It promises to be an action-packed weekend at Yas Marina this year as the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix celebrates its 10th anniversary! Here’s your guide to the on-track action, after-race concerts and the best things to do on Yas Island and in Abu Dhabi at this year’s race.
Planning, Arrival & Trackside Information
- For more information on the best ways to get to Yas Marina, read our Getting Around Guide. Remember that you are not allowed to bring in any food or drink to the circuit.
- Click here to download a large version of the circuit map below.
- A pitlane walk is held on Thursday for holders of 3-Day grandstand tickets between 11:00-16:15.
- Autograph sessions with F1 drivers are also set to take place over the course of the weekend, though exact details have not yet been published.
- Follow “Yas Marina Circuit” on Facebook and Twitter (#AbuDhabiGP) for information about autograph sessions, plus relevant trackside updates and competitions across the weekend. We also recommend downloading the “Yas Hub” app for trackside maps, on-track schedule and information about trackside activities.
- The F1 Village, located behind the Main Grandstand, features interactive displays, merchandise stalls and plenty of places to buy food and drink. You’ll also find food and drink zones, as well as additional entertainment, located close to the grandstands; the North Oasis and West Oasis are behind the grandstands of the same name, while the South Oasis is located between the Marina and South Grandstands.
- Even if you are not joining us on board the Serenity, our trackside yacht, it’s still worth taking a walk around Yas Marina itself, where you’ll find some of the best restaurants and hippest parties on race weekend.
Click here to download the circuit map.
As always, the organizers have lined up some big international names for this year’s concerts at Yas Marina, including Sunday headliners Guns N’ Roses. The concerts take place at Du Arena, a dedicated concert venue located between the North Grandstand and Ferrari World. Doors open at 18:00 and there’s plenty of food trucks and drink outlets. The headliners usually take to the stage place between 21:00-23:00 each evening, with local support acts on earlier:
- Thursday, 22 November: Post Malone
- Friday, 23 November: The Weeknd
- Saturday, 24 November: Sam Smith
- Sunday, 25 November: Guns N’ Roses
Yas Island Attractions
The Yas Marina Circuit is not the only drawcard on Yas Island of course, which boasts three theme parks, mall, a world-class golf course and more! Don’t forget that you can also use the free Yas Express bus service to get around to the different attractions on the island. Here’s a short summary of the best attractions:
- Ferrari World Abu Dhabi: the highlight of Ferrari World is Formula Rossa, the world’s fastest rollercoaster. You’ll also find plenty of the legendary marque’s cars on display, as well as interactive displays, go-karts and more. Open from 11:00-20:00 every day. Adult tickets from 295 AED; special 2 day 2 park tickets are also available on Abu Dhabi GP weekend.
- Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi: Yas Island’s newest theme park, which only opened to the public this July, features six immersive lands themed around Warner Bros. characters, plus 29 rides, retail outlets and restaurants. Open every day from 10:00-20:00. Adult tickets from 295 AED.
- Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi: laid out over 15 hectares and with more than 40 rides, slides and attractions, including the longest suspended rollercoaster in the Middle East, Yas Waterworld is a veritable playground for the whole family. The park is open every day from 10:00-18:00. Adult tickets from 250 AED.
- Yas Mall: a visit to Yas Mall, located adjacent to the entrance of Ferrari World, can be a welcome respite from the trackside heat. This air-conditioned mall has over 400 shops and almost 100 food outlets plus cinemas and family entertainment venues.
- Yas Links: located near the West entrance of the circuit, Yas Links is rated one of the world’s top 50 golf courses. A round costs from $129-299 USD and we recommend booking your tee time in advance on Grand Prix weekend.
The Formula 1 cars take to the track for the first of three practice sessions on Friday at 13:00, qualifying begins on Saturday at 17:00 and the lights go out on the 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday at 17:10. With the event running on a twilight schedule, the F1 sessions on Friday, Saturday and Sunday are timed to coincide with the sun going down around 17:30.
The FIA Formula 2 and GP3 Series also complete practice, qualifying and two races apiece over the course of the weekend. The championship battles are still alive in both series, so expect plenty of close racing featuring future F1 stars such as Lando Norris and George Russell. Finally, the on-track schedule also features the Formula 1 Pirelli Hot Laps cars, which will be taking guests on flying laps of the circuit throughout the weekend.
Thursday, 22 November
|Promoter Activity||Public PIt Lane Walk||11:00-16:15|
|Formula 1||Formula 1 Pirelli Hot Laps||18:30-19:00|
|F1 Experiences||Exclusive Pit Lane Walk & Drive the Track Tour||18:30-20:00|
Friday, 23 November
|GP3 Series||Practice Session||10:15-11:00|
|FIA Formula 2||Practice Session||11:30-12:15|
|Formula 1||Free Practice 1||13:00-14:30|
|GP3 Series||Qualifying Session||15:10-15:40|
|Formula 1||Formula 1 Pirelli Hot Laps||16:00-16:30|
|Formula 1||Free Practice 2
|FIA Formula 2||Qualifying Session||19:00-19:30|
Saturday, 24 November
|GP3 Series||First Race||12:30-13:15|
|Formula 1||Free Practice 3||14:00-15:00|
|FIA Formula 2||Drivers' Parade||15:10-15:40|
|Formula 1||Qualifying Session||17:00-18:00|
|FIA Formula 2||First Race||18:40-19:45|
Sunday, 25 November
|GP3 Series||Second Race||12:10-12:45|
|FIA Formula 2||Second Race||13:35-14:20|
|Formula 1||Formula 1 Pirelli Hot Laps||14:40-15:00|
|Formula 1||Drivers' Track Parade||15:30-16:00|
|Formula 1||Starting Grid Presentation||15:35-16:05|
|Promoter||Etihad flypast & aerobatic display||16:55-16:56|
|Formula 1||2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix||17:10-19:10|
Away from the Track
As part of the Yasalam Festival, which also includes the after-race concerts, the organizers are also bringing race vibes to downtown Abu Dhabi from 16-25 November with “Live Across the City.” Head to Pit Stop @ A’l Bahar on the Corniche every day from 16:00-23:00 for free activities, including interactive challenges, F1 simulators, live music and DJs. The A’l Bahar beachfront complex also has restaurants, retail outlets and sports facilities. For more ideas, read about the Top 5 things to do in Abu Dhabi.