Your guide to getting around at this year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on 28 November to 1 December, including the best ways to get to Yas Marina Circuit from Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Which airport to fly into?
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) is just 10km from Yas Marina and it’s not uncommon to see planes above the circuit as they take off or land! AUH is also the home of Etihad Airways, the flag-carrier for the United Arab Emirates and the title sponsor of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Etihad offers daily connections with many European and other global hubs, but they are not alone. More than 40 airlines offer direct flights to Abu Dhabi from destinations as far away as Australia and the USA.
- Flying into Dubai International Airport (DXB) should also be on your radar, especially if you prefer flying with Emirates. DXB is only 95km from Yas Marina and 120km from the centre of Abu Dhabi. The world’s third largest airport by passenger arrivals (more than 89 million in 2018!) has more routes than Abu Dhabi and flights may be cheaper.
How to get from Abu Dhabi Yas Marina Circuit?
- Booked accommodation along with your Official Ticket Package from F1 Experiences? For hotels not located within walking distance on Yas Island, daily transfers to and from the circuit are included.
- Yas Marina is approximately 30km from the centre of Abu Dhabi. Taking a taxi is probably the easiest way to get to the circuit and should take around 20-30 minutes and cost 60-80 AED ($15-20 USD). Getting a taxi home from the circuit can be a bit tricky, especially after the concerts. Walk a short distance to the entrance of Yas Mall for more taxis rather than waiting at the exit gates, or book a taxi in advance. Uber doesn’t currently operate in Abu Dhabi.
- Public bus routes 170, 180, 185 and 190 also operate from the Abu Dhabi Central Bus Station to Yas Marina. Tickets are cheap, but the buses aren’t that frequent and also fill up at peak times. Additional bus routes also operate from other parts of Abu Dhabi; for the best routes and up to date information, use Google Maps.
- Decided to rent a car in Abu Dhabi? Yas Marina is easily accessible from the centre of Abu Dhabi via the E12 motorway to the north or the E10 motorway to the south. Parking next to the circuit is limited and needs to be booked in advance. Alternatively, you can park at the Yas Mall (and take the Yas Express bus – blue route – to the circuit) or use the Al Shahama Park & Ride lot about 15km from the circuit near the E10 motorway, which offers free transfers to the circuit.
How to get from Dubai to Yas Marina Circuit?
- Dubai is about 120km from Yas Marina. A taxi should take around 90-120 minutes and cost approximately 300 AED each way ($80 USD).
- Driving yourself is another option. Take the Yas Marina main E11 motorway from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, then the E10 motorway to the circuit; the parking advice above also applies.
- For those on a budget, you can also take a bus to Abu Dhabi from the Al Ghubaiba Bus Station in the centre of Dubai. Tickets are cheap (around 25 AED or $7 USD), but the journey takes at least 2 hours. When travelling from Dubai, it’s much quicker to get off the bus at the Shahama Park & Ride lot, then get a free shuttle to the circuit. This will save you having to go all the way into the centre of Abu Dhabi and back. For the return trip, you’ll need to get the bus from the Abu Dhabi Central Bus Station.